Thursday, March 26, 2015

Flicks of Sand

Fast sprinters, running up to the predetermined
wood block that signifies a great jump,
would enter the air with pride and
land with flicks of sand in the shoes, outside
the sand pit, and on me, the bystander
in witnessing a great leap forward.

I would get sand all over me. I would
stand there, record everyone’s numbers, which
all look like the values of them in
respective of mine. The outlier.

But let us consider a simple case: the sandpit, wooden block,
me, and a metre readily available on the side.
A sunny predisposition. The wind is for me. A good
twenty metres away from the wooden block is
my running block.
                                   I then thrust my arm
                        forwards, lift my leg into the thinned air, striding
             with confidence, and approach closer and closer to
the wooden jumping point. In the air

I see the clear sky, the edges of sandpit, the
warmth of that goal that would force me
to compel my fears. But now I see where
I am about to land. No! No, I can go further, and
             a little more push
                        could get me
                                   farther and farther away from my beginning
                                                and I —

                                                                  I refuse to land.

No comments:

Post a Comment